By now, we all know that Twitter is a fantastic place to network, share resources and ideas and learn from other professionals across a variety of industries. But did you know that there are weekly and monthly chats on Twitter to bring together communities around a specific topic?
With more than 100 chats taking place on Twitter at any given time, we’ve narrowed down the list to the top 5 Twitter chats you should be paying attention to and participating in if you work in the PR industry.
1. #Journchat (Mondays from 8-9 p.m. EST): Long before many PR professionals adopted Twitter, #Journchat launched in 2008 and stakes the claim of being the first-ever Twitter chat. This hour-long chat is designed to keep the lines of communication open between PR pros, journalists and bloggers.
2. #PRStudChat (Held monthly- check Twitter for details): While this chat may have the word “stud” in it for “student,” everyone can be a lifelong learner in this awesome chat. Started by Deirdre Breakenridge and Valerie Simon in 2009, the goal of the chat is to connect PR students, professionals and educators to discuss industry trends, PR education, networking, careers and more.
3. #SoloPR (Wednesdays from 1-2 p.m. EST): This chat (and full-on online community) was started by Kellye Crane, an independent PR consultant in 2008 to bring together fellow freelance PR practitioners to network and learn from one another. Whether you actually are a solo PR professional or not, this chat is great to follow for inspiration, ideas and education from a group of smart and savvy pros.
4. #CmgrChat (Wednesdays from 2-3 p.m. EST): Many PR professionals are also tasked with the responsibility of serving as their organization’s community manager online. This weekly Twitter chat is designed to provide a community for those who spend their days at work managing communities on social media.
5. #MeasurePR (First Tuesday of every month from 1-2 p.m. EST): Interested in learning more about how to measure your public relations efforts? This monthly chat founded by Shonali Burke is for you! Though the chat is once a month, stay tuned to the hashtag frequently for more conversation and resources.
Looking for more useful chats to check out? Here’s some of our other favorite Twitter chats for PR pros:
Need help getting started with participating in your first Twitter chat? It’s easy! Simply head to Tweetchat.com, login with your Twitter credentials, enter the hashtag of the chat and follow the conversation.
Do you have a favorite Twitter chat? Share in the comments below!
This post was written by PPRA Vice President of Communications Jessica Lawlor. Jessica is the marketing and communications coordinator for Visit Bucks County, the official tourism promotion agency for Bucks County, PA. In her role at the tourism office, she is responsible for content creation. e-communications, B2B public relations efforts and assisting with social media, advertising and marketing initiatives. In her free time, Jessica is a freelance writer and blogs at JessicaLawlor.com about getting gutsy-stepping outside your comfort zone to reach your goals.